Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Chalkboard Decor for All Seasons

I'm the kind of gal that likes her decor to reflect the seasons and holidays, but I don't always want to look like a Hallmark store. Going all-out for Christmas is a no-brainer because I love Christmas. I also go the extra mile for fall since that's the Hubby's favorite season, but other than that I don't go too crazy. That's why I like this project.

This is a super easy project that you can probably do with things you already have. You need:
  • A picture frame that matches, or works with your own decor. It can be any size you like.
  • A can of chalkboard spray paint, or if you have the brush-on kind that would work too. 
  • Chalk, white and/or colored
(That's a pretty simple materials list if I do say so myself.) 

The first step is to take the back off of your frame, get the picture of the fake family out of there and get to the piece of glass. Be careful here because sometimes the edges of those pieces can be sharp. 

Once you isolate it, take it to your favorite drop-cloth, piece of newspaper or lawn that's getting mowed soon (I was so excited about the project I couldn't be bothered to find drop cloth or newspaper) and lay it out so that you can paint it without worrying about the overspray getting on things that you don't want painted. (I didn't photograph any of the spray painting.)

In short, even sprays, paint one side of the glass with the chalkboard paint. Once the first coat dries, give it a second coat for good measure. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours per the instructions on the can.

Fast-forward 24 hours... prep your chalkboard surface by rubbing the entire surface with chalk and then wiping it off. I think that this gives the surface a nice worn in look.

Then, put your glass back in the frame (make sure that the painted side is facing out), put the back of the frame back on, and voila! Instant chalkboard.

Top left: Disassembling the frame. Top right: Prepping the chalkboard surface with chalk after paint has dried. Bottom left: Putting it all back together. Bottom middle: All done! Bottom right: Get creative with your chalk.
 I chose 2 frames that fit 5" x 7" photos that had a stand allowing them to be propped up either horizontally or vertically. I loved the texture and color of the wood. Customizing these to fit a holiday or season is super easy. I made my chalkboards right before Halloween last year, so I have already incorporated them into my Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and now Valentine's Day decor.


You can see that for Christmas, I didn't write anything on them, but used them as backdrops for some wood cut snowflakes. These would even be fun with colored chalk... maybe around Easter when pastels are prevalent.

Additionally... if you have kids, or any other family member who is so inclined, it would be fun for them to draw a seasonal picture so that they can feel good about contributing to how the house looks. And if they decide they don't like it, erase and make something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment