Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Brrr!

Over a year ago, I told my husband that I would knit him a scarf... He was super-excited. Fast-forward to January of this year... still no scarf. I had lots of good reasons for not getting it done: we were busy looking for a house, we found one, we moved, then it was summer (Who knits in the summer? Not me apparently,) then school started again, the holidays rolled around... Those aren't very good reasons, and actually none of those things were THE reason why my project stalled.

The reason why my project stalled was because the stitch that I was trying to create had me baffled. I was attempting a fisherman's rib pattern and I found a really great book with all kinds of knitting patterns that I couldn't wait to try. I'm a novice knitter but I really felt like I could handle "S1, k1b, k, pl, k1b* repeat from *" or whatever that pattern was. I started the dang thing maybe 5 times, made a mistake couldn't figure out how to fix it and then tore the whole thing out. I even went to You Tube and watched videos on how to "k1b", but my brain malfunctioned and it didn't happen. (I maintain that it is a really great book, it was all user-error on my end.)

Then the clouds parted, the sun came out, and angels started singing (Ahhhh!) when I found The Purl Bee website a couple of weeks ago. The Purl Bee is a blog that accompanies the online store Purl Soho that accompanies the brick-and-mortar store Purl in, you guessed it, Soho! They "strive to create fun and approachable projects for you to knit, crochet, sew, stitch and more.." and have supplies and ideas for knitting, crochet, sewing and embroidery projects. Their products are gorgeous... I could stare at these pictures all day!

All photos from www.purlsoho.com.

They featured a Fisherman's Rib for either a scarf or a cowl and I was inspired to try again. Easy, instructions, clear, well-lit, step-by-step pictures (this is what I needed!) and I was ready to go.

Knitting has commenced! I will keep you posted on progress and show you the finished project when it's done!

(I have not received any compensation whatsoever for this post, I simply think that Purl Soho is an awesome site and wanted to share the loveliness with you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment